Wednesday, June 10, 2015

H.O.M.E.L.E.S.S


Czech republic, a place which is known to many as a romantic place for visit, having many attractions especially those amazing well preserved Gothic style buildings and also famous with their special drink called "PIVO". I have been living in the capital of Czech republic, Prague for almost 6 years and soon I am completing my medical studies in one of their faculties here. Throughout that 'short' period of time, I have seen a lot of changes happening to Czech republic and indeed I do learn a lot just by engaging with the surroundings and environment here. 

The beauty of Prague city, Czech Republic
Prague - I have never seen anytime throughout the year that this small beautiful city to be 'dead' since it keeps on receiving more and more tourists regardless of seasons. I bet there must be something special here and that is why people keep on coming to this city. Probably I no longer feel that special about this city since I have been living here for quite sometime and got slightly adapted or 'blended in' with the Pražak's lifestyle. (Pražak here refers to the Czech citizens who settle here in Prague)

Back to the topic I am going to write here - a group of people labelled by us as "Homeless" or in Czech they call them "Bezdomovec" which literally means people with no home. Prague just like other big cities has quite a number of this unfortunate people and yeah indeed they are apart of us since they have been living with us day and nights. They came from various range of age groups and backgrounds - from as young as 20s till late 50s, native czech, gypsies, and some are foreigners who used to come here for a job before.

"Bezdomovec" commonly seen sleeping in the city center of Prague

Actually in the past, I tried to figure out who they are and where these bezdomovec came from? Based on some research I made in the internet (untrusted sources) and some conversations I made with my Czech friends and fellow lecturers here, they ended up as homeless because of several reasons. Some of them used to have a great life in the past but ended up as one when his business failed and he was announced bankrupt. Others are said to be involved in heavy alcohol drinking and also abusive substances like drugs. Poverty and poor family background like the gyspy community also contribute to the figures annually.

Sadly every winter season, the local news and medias reported that approximately 40 to 50 homeless died from the extremely cold weather. I hardly imagine how these unfortunate ones are able to survive the 'disastrous' chilly and windy winter. I have seen some of them wandering around the city during winter, wearing just one or two layers of worn-out winter coat, smoking the leftover cigarettes with a box of cheap alcohol on their hand to warm up their body. Some even owns a dog and they hug their dog to keep themselves warm. Believe me, you will definitely learn a lot just by observing and looking at them on the streets. They taught me about being grateful of what I own and have today! Appreciate what I have and think about others who do not have it!!

A lady and her dog


Several stories about homeless I met in Prague:

Mr X in Surgical septic ward

Recently I met this homeless guy in the septic ward during my Surgery practice before the state examination. The guy (I named him Mr. X) was around 60s and he was hospitalized after being diagnosed with frostbite on both of his lower limbs. His legs from the toes up to the knees are all black in colour which means they are already gangrenous and most of the tissues are dead. The smells are unimaginable and I am pretty sure that everyone in the ward does not seem to be happy with it.

 Few days later, when I came again to the same ward I was shocked to see that the same Mr. X lying on the bed but now without legs - both of them were amputated and the only thing we could see was the stump and flaps being made at the edge of the amputation region. Now, Mr X no longer able to walk and he has to depend on the wheelchair his entire life or if he is lucky, some generous people might want to sponsor him the prosthetic legs as replacement.

Now I know that the hospital still accept these group of people as a part of the community and they do deserve proper treatments like others as well. The good thing is, they are not left behind and still being treated as human. Humanity does exist in this world! Thumbs up to the Czech government!!
Maybe that is the best solution the hospital can make to help this poor Mr X to continue his life.

The Generous Homeless

The Malaysian student association in Czech republic organised a program called JJBM (Jalan-jalan Bagi Makan) which literally means Walk around and Give the Foods. The idea behind this program is to help the homeless in Prague by providing them with foods, hot drinks and sometimes some clothes like socks to keep them warm especially during the winter. If I am not mistaken the program has reached its 4th year of age ever since it was started.

Throughout my 6 years of studies here in Prague I managed to join them distributing the foods for several times. Usually the foods are distributed on Sundays since everyone is available on the respective day. By joining this event, I have met many homeless here and know what, after some time I could recognize almost each of them and even know the specific locations or streets in Prague to find them (I believe others who are in this program developed this skill too after joining the distribution team for several weekends).
"What else should we do, so that you will help us?"
I know that some of them are generous and do care about their friends. The homeless community here is just like a big family and indeed they do have strong relation and bondage to each other. I can feel that there are great connections among them as if they are genetically linked. I had one touching experience while distributing the foods on one of the Sundays. Usually we began distributing the foods from Narodni trida areas which is the closest stop from our house and then we slowly walk to the center and further heading to Namesti republiky area. Namesti republiky is quite a popular place for the homeless to gather on Sunday and usually we successfully finish distributing the foods there.

However on one chilly Sunday morning, the foods ran out faster than it used to be. Almost half of them was distributed in the first few destinations we reached. By the time we arrived in Namesti republiky, we just have 10-20 lunch boxes left in our trolley. A group of homeless came to us and only the first lucky 20 homeless got the foods and hot drinks. Only the hot tea left for us to serve the remaining homeless who were late to get the foods. The touching story began when one of the young homeless guy (about early 30s of age) 'sacrificed' his lunch box to one other homeless who did not get the food. Then another guy nearby who was at the moment enjoying the lunch box immediately ate half of his foods and then, he gave the remaining half to his unlucky friend who came slightly later to us. This is AMAZING and I was touched by the actions of these generous and caring homeless.

Let us put ourselves into their situation. Imagine that we are the unlucky homeless trying to survive in the cold winter with empty stomach and for sure we have limited sources of foods with no money at all. If the same story I wrote above happens to us, are we able to act the same way those generous and caring homeless did? Will we sacrifice the foods we get for others? Would we even care about others? This was indeed a great lesson I learned from them - that homeless guy is in fact my teacher! I will definitely remember this and Alhamdulillah I am so lucky to experience such precious moment before graduating and return back home to Malaysia. Learning is definitely a life long process and we will never stop learning till we die!


So the lesson  is: Switch off all those gadgets! Open your eyes and look around! Observe what is happening around us and I am pretty sure we will learn something

It seems like the library is going to close very soon and I have promised my friend for a "dinner date" now. Till we meet again in the next post!

ajimdiah, Narodni divadlo, Praha 29/4/2015




No comments:

Post a Comment